We have just returned from SaltCON 2018 and we have reports on the events we ran for the convention inlcuding a Game Show, Werewolf, and a Puzzle Hunt.
We also (mainly Nathan) played large group games of Deception Murder In Hong Kong and Salem 1692.
We also talk about other convention events, games, dealers, and other SaltCON stuff.
And is that Brent and Sam on the same episode? This episode might explode in 60 seconds.
This week we are joined by Shane Larsen as we talk about complexity in games including talks about Puerto Rico, Through the Ages, Lorenzo Il Magnifco, and many more. Are complex games better, or just longer?
This holiday seasons people make lists and people play games. Some even make lists of games they would play. Do you prefer Nathan’s Twelve (mostly short games) that he wants to play 1-12 times in the next few weeks? What do you think about Brent’s list of games that have the number of the day in them? Even better, Ryan has ideas for mini goals to do while playing games.
Whatever you celebrate this month, we hope you are surrounded by friends and family and board games.
In November, Meeple Nation helped put on a 24 hour board game event, which collected donations for Extra Life and the Children’s Miracle Network. We review and recap the event, which turned out great. Some of the awesome games that we got to the table were Infected, The Quest for El Dorado, Terraforming Mars, Iron Dragon, Crossfire, and Dead of Winter: Warring Colonies. We’d like to thank Tab Bank for hosting, and Tasty Minstrel Games, Mayday Games, Tim Fowers Games, and Red Raven Games for sponsoring.
Our Gift Guide:
Ticket to Ride
The Quest for El Dorado
Fast Forward: FLEE
Century: Spice Road
Can’t Stop Express
Clank! In! Space!
Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle
Flick ‘Em Up
Bang: The Dice Games
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong
Stocking Stuffers (Small Games)
Pack O Games
Don’t Mess with Cthulhu
This week we cover five different Escape Room Games. Listen for our commentary, but the summary is:
- EXIT the Game – Three current titles, three more announced. Fantastic games with the best puzzles, contents destroyed during play. In game Hints give solutions if you desire.
- Unlock! – Three current titles, three more announced. These are the hosts’ favorite with their humor and fun. Extremely easy to reset for play by another group. Free App required.
- Escape the Room – Nathan and Brent played Mystery at the Stargazer’s Manor and found it clever and fun, but much more simple than the previous two. Reset instructions online.
- Escape Room the Game – Core set comes with four different games, but the electronic device that is needed to solve and advance the game did not work properly for the hosts. Not recommended. Reset with a printer and less than 30 minutes.
- Escape Room in a Box: The Werewolf Experience – Huge fun that is pretty pricey and probably hard to find. Can be reset with a printer and a half hour of time, or so.
Don’t forget to pick up Ryan Decaria’s book, Devil in the Microscope, available from Amazon, and check out Brent’s Meeple Sing Shirts, also available through Amazon.